Loading...

Suicide from bad hair transplants

Comments by a Great Doctor from Belgium:  I am devastated. Three days ago one of my patients, who had been badly operated on in Turkey, committed suicide. I had seen him in the emergency room following his bad operation and had proceeded to remove part of the grafts. I saw him again via skype a few days ago and he exclaimed “my saviour” …. There was still work to be done and I was enthusiastic about the idea of completing the correction work….
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard about suicide from patients who’ve been badly operated on, especially when it comes to beards. It’s a terrible ordeal for them to have this bad work on their face. I have a terrible grudge against all those who work badly and who shamelessly and remorselessly ruin the future of young men….

I had a long talk with his parents this morning. They explained to me that their son was consumed with remorse at having been taken in by dishonest people. The sad thing is that correction was possible. He was very concerned about the depletion of his donor area. And he asked me to bring as many grafts as possible to the scalp donor area. The first part of his correction went smoothly, with very good healing of the face, but the feeling that he had mortgaged his future was stronger. He left a long, beautiful, and dignified letter which comforted his parents. I think it would indeed be good for the ISHRS and for “fight the fight” campaign to post a memoriam to give an example of the psychological risk a patient can take by putting himself in non-expert hands.

Dr. Rassman’s comments: In the early to mid-90s, I had three patients who were suicidal as a result of the big plugs that they received for a hair transplant, a common hair transplant surgery prior to 1992. In those days it wasn’t Illegal Clinics in Turkey that deformed men, it was American and European doctors who did the deforming surgeries because large hair transplant plugs were the standard of care at that time. One young man who committed suicide, impacted me greatly. I Remember talking to his parents before the suicide trying to work with them and get him the help that he needed. I offered my services free of charge to fix it. But he couldn’t deal with the stress and prior to the scheduled surgery with me in California, when he was about to fly out to see me from Ohio, he committed suicide. The family called me to thank me for my efforts. It didn’t make me feel better. The other two got help that I arranged for them. None of these three patients were local to me in California where I practiced. A 4th patient developed Alopecia Areata within a week after his Hair transplant. Dr. Ron Shapiro and I worked with a psychiatrist and prevented the suicide arranging 24/7 care for him after he was properly medicated. He did fine. Alopecia Areate can be brought on by the stress of a hair transplant. Poor outcomes from surgery is not confined to the Turkey Black Market Clinics, it happens in our own backyard with poorly trained surgeons offering hair transplants without understanding the fundamentals as they victimize vulnerable boys and men.    



from BaldingBlog - Hair Loss Info https://ift.tt/tvVjwaH
Health Tips 1372605788286538337

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item