Loading...

Finasteride and making babies

If my girlfriend touched my scalp after I put topical finasteride on it and whe gets pregnanty, will that cause a problem with the baby? Or is it like alcohol, where it is too soon to have any impact on the child at the time of conception vs pregnancy? So I am asking if she comes in contact with topical fin during conception and has no contact going forward, are we okay? To be more clear, are the risks of a woman coming in contact with topical finasteride while conceiving as dangerous as when pregnant.

I wish I could give you a clear answer.  There is no real answer to your question; however, you need to know that topical finasteride gets absorbed systemically, so it’s like taking the oral form. Topical liposomal finasteride, on the other hand, cuts the systemic absorption down to what I understand is under 20%, and there is less systemic finasteride to get into the semen. Also, in the original Merck studies on Propecia, the company didn’t recognize a risk to conception; however, as more litigation emerged, Merck changed their position to put this as a potential risk. I am certain of one thing; however, of the millions of men on the oral finasteride over the years, I have not seen any correlations to fetal abnormalities that particularly stand out in a medical study (comparing thousands of conceptions in women whose men were on finasteride vs. not on finasteride). The amount of finasteride in the semen is almost unmeasurable, according to Merck.  Handling the drug for a pregnant woman is listed as a NO NO in the original Merck material.

Of the men who have had abnormal babies, it is hard to distinguish, statistically, if these abnormalities were caused by finasteride or the normal variation that occurs in the non-finasteride population. My heart always goes out to these men because they blame themselves for the abnormalities. They also blamed their doctors, the manufacturer, the FDA, and one man blamed me because I didn’t take a firm stand on the connection between Finasteride and fetal abnormalities. 



from BaldingBlog - Hair Loss Info https://ift.tt/KHoRy2F
Health Tips 2374491266452900526

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item